Now I’ve never been the one to make New Year’s Resolutions, but I thought that stating some new goals for 2012 might a step in the right direction.
Having participated in two rounds of ROW80 in 2011, I’m stepping it up a notch by being a Sponsor for A Round of Words in 80 Days Round 1, 2012. In the past six months I’ve learned a lot about the craft of writing and what I need to do to achieve my goals. In the last round, I didn’t achieve as much as I wanted to. Somehow November and December ended up being busy. The other problem was the I had set myself some more global goals. This time I have got to be more strict on myself to make sure I achieve my more specific goals.
So here goes nothing. My goals for the first round of ROW80 in 2012:
1. Work on my novel from 8:00pm to 9:00pm Monday-Thursday. I know that this time in the evenings works for me because by 8pm I’ve had enough time to come home from the day job, eat dinner, relax for a bit, check social media and then get back to the grindstone. If I don’t set myself a daily goal, then I will rely on me finding sometime during the week to get in my 5,000 weekly word goal. I will also try to get some writing done on the weekends, but it would be nice to dedicate that time to write my blog posts for the week.
2. Finish my first novel. I’m about 3/4 of the way through my novel and I aim to finish the first draft by the end of March 2012. I will have to write a lot of words to finish it, but I can’t state a word count end goal because I don’t know how many words are left.
3. Blog 3 times per week and think of new weekly topic. I try to blog about Travel on Mondays, Writing on Wednesdays, and Thursdays/Fridays are open to Book Reviews or other lifestyle articles. I would like to think of a weekly topic to write about that doesn’t take so much time to write, research and sort through and upload photos for. So I have to starting brainstorming and come up with a new topic/theme.
4. Maintain ROW80 Sponsor duties. Being a sponsor, I need to make sure to remember to check in on the other ROW80 participants on Wednesdays. There are two check in’s a week and I usually check in on Sundays, so I have to make a conscious effort to remember to check the linky on Wednesdays.
5. Keep up with social media. I should make this goal more specific. Lets say…I comment on 5 blogs per week and maybe move up from there. I read a lot of blogs, but I tend not to comment as I read them a day or two after they were posted and they are already stacked with comments. So I will try to clean out my Google Reader and somehow focus on the top 10-15 blogs I regularly follow. I think I’m trying to keep up with too many right now and it leads to too much blog reading in the evenings rather than writing. If anyone has any tips in this department, please leave it in the comments.
So lets gear up for 2012!